New Tour Dates: August 2 to 12, 2024
This is your invitation to immerse yourself in a pilgrimage to the Highlands of Guatemala in community with Chinook Winds Executive Minister Treena Duncan, fellow Ministry leaders and the leadership of World Pilgrim from August 2 to 12, 2024.
Did you miss one of the Online Information Sessions with Executive Minister Treena Duncan? Check out the info session recording below!
The Guatemala Trip is led by World Pilgrim: Global Education Awareness Travel. During the ten days, you will meet inspiring people and visit projects working to better Guatemalan Society. Your guides will be Word Pilgrim’s Doris Kizinna and Julio Conchoy along with Guatemalans who will share their stories.
Guatemala is a country with much to teach about the richness of culture, the struggle and challenge of a developing country as well as the effects of enduring a 36-year civil war and genocide. Through the stories of the people you meet, Guatemala’s culture, context and history will come alive for you. You will discover Guatemala’s Highlands where you will learn about Mayan culture, traditions, music and spirituality. You will share a day of joy with children at the school in Chwitiziribal, a small Mayan village, visit Chichicastenango and its world-famous market, a fair trade coffee project, weavers and artisans, Lake Atitian, historic Antiqua and a relaxing volcanic hot spring.
You will build community while travelling with a group of fellow ministry leaders & pilgrims as you share community gatherings and time to reflect on your own ministry in the context of this pilgrimage.
CAD $3050 including GST
Single room supplement: $520
TO REGISTER: Worldpilgrim.ca/application-form
(Under Trip Choice, please choose Guatemala: Private Group United Church of Canada Region: Aug 2-12, 2024).
- all accommodation in excellent and comfortable hotels, see websites in itineraries below:
- tips for all hotels and drivers
- all meals including non-alcoholic beverages
- all transport in the country in our Coaster passenger bus with large windows with our loved driver Marco, boats on the lake, tuktuks and taxis.
- all entrance fees for all visits: Iximche ruins, hot springs, nature reserve, etc and all honorariums paid to musicians and artists we visit.
- group donations to organizations we visit (donation of a bed to a senior, gifts of food etc to our elder nan maria, gift to the nuns in Zacualpa for the work they do with migrants heading to the USA.
- 1 Canadian guide, 1 Guatemalan guide with the group for the whole trip, and 1 Guatemalan translator guide with us for half the tour.
ITINERARY: Download HERE
NOT INCLUDED IN THE TOUR PRICE:
- flights to and from Guatemala City, immunizations, optional Tikal journey, and alcoholic beverages. If you wish, you may contribute to an extra contribution/tip for our Guatemalan translator and driver at the end of the tour.
Tikal Tour Option: There is an option if you wish to stay on for 2 more nights to experience an overnight trip to TIKAL, an ancient Mayan site in northern Guatemala. The costs for this optional tour are extra and can be added to your costs. In the past people have paid app. $600 USD for a one-hour flight return, shuttle to the airport, shuttle to Tikal, a guided tour through the ruins, an overnight in the park at the Jungle Lodge for one or two nights, sunrise on temple 4 in the park, tour of Flores and boat trip around Flores and shuttle back to airport and flight back to Guatemala city. Amazing! You would also have an additional cost of an extra night in Guatemala the day before you fly home and meals. Let us know if you are interested in this add-on option.
Recording: Guatemala Information Session held on February 9, 2024: Executive Minister Treena Duncan was joined by World Pilgrim’s Doris Kizinna and Julio Conchoy who gave a photo itinerary of the trip and answered questions.