During this Reconciliation Month, here are some activities being undertaken in our community to encourage awareness and dialogue about our reconciliation journeys. If you have any questions, please contact Rev. Tony Snow, Indigenous Minister for Chinook Winds Region
Wednesday, October 4 – Sisters in Spirit Day Memorial March and Olympic Plaza Gathering, Calgary. Noon. Sisters in Spirit Vigils are held annually to remember and raise awareness of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.
Saturday, October 7, 2-4 pm — St. Paul’s United, Trochu, AB, and Knox United, Three Hills, AB, invite you to a Blanket Exercise for Truth and Reconciliation in Trochu, AB . Led by Indigenous Elder John Sinclair at his space beside the Red Bird Diner on Arena Avenue. The blanket exercise involves a Canadian First Nations people history lesson before and after colonization and a glimpse of the land before and after treaties were signed. The exercise is part of an initiative by KAIROS, an ecumenical faith-based organization, and its WInds of Change campaign, which seeks reconciliation through Education. John is a resident of Trochu and there is a short bio of John @ https://colouringitforward.com/pages/elders
October 10 & 11 – Downey Lectureship at Ambrose University. Lectures by Dr. Munther Isaac, Bethlehem Bible College with Rev. Tony Snow response. 7:30 pm MT each evening. Details: https://ambrose.edu/downey-lectureships
October 12 – International Indigenous Women’s Day – zoom session with Gloria Snow, Student Minister. Registration Link to come.
Sunday, October 1 – Knox United Church, Calgary – Service dedicated to Sisters in Spirit with Wendy Walker performing live. 10:30 am
Monday, October 2 – Pincher Creek United Church – Treaty 7 Blanket Exercise.
Tuesday, October 3 – Indigenous Women’s Day of Wellness – Beaded Pin Workshop. 10 am to 3 pm. A free workshop specifically for those affected by the loss of Grandmothers, Mothers, Sisters, Daughters, Spouses, and Friends. It is a day of spiritual care and gathering to reflect on our journey through arts, crafts, traditional teachings, and ceremony. Hosted by a Traditional Healer and Traditional Knowledge Keeper. Participants will sew a beaded pin to take home. Lunch included. McDougall United Church, Calgary. Registration VIA JOTFORM
Saturday, September 30 – Truth and Reconciliation Day Events
- A South Calgary Event at Fish Creek United Church. 11 am – 2 pm. An all-ages event with a light lunch. Engage with Indigenous Elders and Knowledge Keepers and join a Round Dance facilitated by Stoney Nakoda First Nation members. Event supported by McDougall, Okotoks, United Church in the Valley, Fish Creek.
- Reconnection, Reconciliation & Resilience. 1-4 pm @ Grace Presbyterian, Calgary, parking lot. Organized with Stardale Girls Drumming, Scarboro United, St. Stephen’s Anglican and Grace Church. An opportunity to discuss the effects of residential schools. Will include a ceremony with Elder’s presence and teachings and a drumming performance from Stardale Girls Druming. Free event.
- ODAGUGICIYE APîîCIYABIC/BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS TRADITIONAL POW WOW. Bearspaw First Nation, Chiniki First Nation, Goodstoney First Nation and the Town of Cochrane, in partnership with Spray Lake Sawmills Centre, invite you to the Odagugiciye Apîîciyabic/Building Relationships Traditional Pow Wow on September 30 from 1–8pm. Check out details
- Bones of Crow Movie Showings will take place @ Bashaw (AB) United Church and Grace Presbyterian, Calgary @ 7 pm in both locations.
- Treaty 7 Blanket Exercise, Edgemont Community Association, Calgary, 4 pm.
- If your community of faith is also planning events, please email Shelley Den Haan and she will add them to the list on our Indigenous Ministry webpage.
Thursday, September 21 – Wagaichibi Îhnuthe: The Dance Regalia of the Iyârhe Nakoda. Canmore Museum. 5-8 pm. More details and to RSVP
Friday, September 22 – Lakeview United Church, Calgary. – Remembering Treaty 7 Day 2 PM
Saturday, September 23 – McDougall United Church – Mural Project unveiling
Sunday, September 24 – McDougall United Church Sunday – Reconciliation Week Service. 10:30 am.
Tuesday, September 26 – Right Relations Circle – Beginning Our Reconciliation Story – 7 PM Zoom. You can register for the monthly Right Relations Circle HERE
Wednesday, September 27
- Alberta Bible College – Reconciliation Week Chapel Service – 11 AM
- Glebe-St. James, Kitchissippi and Knox United Church, Ottawa Seminar Series with Rev. Dr. Junior Smith, Rev. Dr. Teresa Burnett-Cole and Rev Tony Snow – “Come and Engage” (Zoom 4:30 PM MT)